Tips to install garage door panels
If you have exhausted the list of ‘all garage door repair near me’, you can consider installing new garage door panels. Great! There could be any number of reasons for opting for this new installation. The present doors may be old or they may be dented or damaged. Often only the bottom of the garage door panels needs to be replaced as it is closer to the garage floor. Whatever be the reason, newer doors are better made, safer, and easier to install and operate. Here’s a list of some tips that you must incorporate while you install garage door panels.
- Be sure that you have bought the right size and specifications of garage door panels. Check the make and model of your existing door because they might look similar without specifications. Also ensure you enquire enough about garage door replacement panels.
- Read all of the instructions in the owner’s manual. The overview given by the manufacturer will give you a fair idea of the process so that you can anticipate the next step and the parts needed to complete the step.
- Always organize the tools and parts that come with the garage door into a pile in the order that you will need them to save trouble and time.
- You would need materials other than the ones which come with garage door panels such as power drill, hammer, screws, and obviously a ladder. Ensure you ave two ladders if you have someone to assist you.
- Begin removing the door panels starting from the top. Ensure that the automatic garage door opener is unplugged if you have one.
- When unfastening the torsion springs from the turnbuckles, be careful as they have a lot of tension in the spring which could cause injury to you or damage the door.
- Mark a chalk line across the springs to know how many times you have turned it when tightening.
- Make sure that lag screws go into sound framing but tighten them down only when you are sure that they are in alignment.
- Start tightening the screws starting from the bottom as you go up. Also check the working of the door all along by making sure that it moves smoothly in the tracks.
- Check that all the fastenings are tight and secure in the holes before plugging in the automatic door opener.
- When you are finally finished with the garage door repair or installation of a new door, then ensure that you have removed all obstacles, tools, and materials to ensure that the door opens smoothly.
- Choose your design and style carefully to complement the exterior of the garage and follow the instructions carefully to have a hassle free installation.