6 tips for selecting the right moving company
Moving from one state to another or even from one locality to another can be a pretty hectic task. In such cases, you need an efficient moving company that can handle all the logistics and get your stuff moved safely. For this, it is important to know how to determine which packers and movers are best for the job.
Mentioned below are some tips that can help you pick the best moving companies from the lot:
- Looking from a logistical point of view, there are two types of packers and movers—interstate and intrastate. Interstate moving companies help people move from one state to another while intrastate company helps you move locally. If you are moving interstate, make sure that the moving company you choose is efficient for long distance or interstate moving. The professionals that you hire should also be able to help you legally as different states have different moving regulations.
- Make sure that the moving company you select is financially stable. Moving interstate can incur additional costs. Thus, select a franchise that can reach across multiple areas and are able to provide you with all the help if the worst should happen while moving interstate.
- Insurance is one of the important factors when it comes to packing and moving. Consult the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to check if the moving company you are selecting has all the insurance and licenses in place. The average Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BIPD) insurance of a moving company should be at least around $750,000.
- The moving company that you select should have trucks of all sizes and the right equipment to handle the packing and moving. Look for equipment like ramps, jacks, lifts, hand-trucks, appliance dollies, and so on. They should also provide you with boxes for packing.
- Background checks are also important when it comes to selecting moving companies. Select those packers and movers that are reputed and have helped numerous customers with their moving needs. Make sure these moving companies hire professionals only after running a background check on them. Efficient moving companies will have a strong training regimen in place for their employees. Make sure their employees are trained for things like truck loading and unloading techniques, proper lifting techniques, and handling fragile and valuable items.
- Once you have shortlisted a couple of moving companies, ask around and look for reviews posted by people who have used their services on the Internet. Websites like consumerreports, bbb, and movingscam can offer you reliable information on the best packers and movers.