5 tips to treat heartburn at home
Heartburn is getting increasingly common in everyone’s daily lives. Though it is a problem that people tend to brush off as a minor inconvenience, it can have serious repercussions to a person’s overall health. It is pointless to suffer in silence when heartburn treatment is easy to implement, as long as you know the remedy.
Read on to know how effective heartburn treatment can be done at home.
- Maintain a proper posture: Do not lie down immediately after having a meal. Take a walk or indulge in household chores as this not only keeps one active but also prevents acid reflux. This helps to curb the heartburn one may expereince at night.
- Change in sleeping posture: Change the posture in which you sleep. Those who are more susceptible to heartburn during the night would benefit from sleeping on their side, the left side to be precise. Studies show that sleeping on the left side mitigates heartburn problems and also prevents them.
- Use of aloe vera: Aloe vera causes inflammation of the stomach (as well as the esophagus) to subside. It is ideally advised to have half a cup of aloe vera juice prior to a meal. However, do exercise caution while consuming it as aloe vera is known to be a laxative and excess of it may adversely affect you.
- Use of baking soda: A popular home remedy for heartburn treatment is the use of sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda, as we know it. Due to its alkaline nature, it helps to neutralize the acid in the stomach.
- Regular chewing of gum: Other than freeing the person from grips of halitosis (bad breath) and exercising the jaw muscles, chewing gum has other benefits too. For starters, it promotes the flow of saliva. Acid gathered in the stomach is washed away effectively. This is one of the preliminary yet important heartburn treatment measures.