7 simple tips that help you to prevent heartburn
Heartburn has been a recurring problem amongst the majority of the population. Heartburn treatment is often dismissed as it is not considered a serious enough problem. But why live with the condition that can be prevented?
To help the nip the issue in the bud, here are some tips that can be effective heartburn treatments:
- Having three heavy meals every day may sound like a good healthy idea, but it is not. It only serves to make the stomach too heavy, as there is a lot of weight upon the esophageal sphincter. This causes portions of the food to get refluxed back into the esophagus. So avoid excessively heavy meals. Have frequent light meals over the day.
- Food items like highly processed foods and junk foods should be not consumed, or at least avoided to the maximum extent possible. They are one of the primary causes of heartburn and make people more prone to heartburn symptoms.
- To avoid refluxing of food, have your meals at least four hours before you go to sleep. This is because sleeping on a full stomach will cause the food to push harder against the esophageal sphincter, making you more prone to reflux.
- Sustain a fixed weight that is in correlation with the prescribed Body Mass Index (BMI). It has been seen that obese people are more prone to heartburn due to its direct correlation with an increase in pressure in the abdominal area. It has also been observed that even the slightest drop in weight acts as a positive step towards a successful heartburn treatment.
- Avoid tight clothes and clothing accessories like body fitting dresses and belts because they scrunch firmly around the waist region, promoting reflux of food by pressing the food against the esophageal sphincter.
- Smoking has been identified as one of the factors that increase heartburn since this habit has been known to cause deterioration of the esophageal sphincter. Stomach acid is also produced due to smoking.
- Alcoholic substances are yet another causal factor in this regard. Do not go beyond the consumption of two or three thoroughly diluted drinks.
Follow these proactive measures to avoid intensive heartburn treatment and gift yourself a healthy life!