Best organic hair dyes for grey hair
One of the greatest gifts of the beauty industry is, of course, the hair color. Each one of us covets beautiful, luxurious hair. Both men and women find use for hair color either to spruce up their style or to mask gray hair. One of the main reasons for the popularity of chemical based hair color products is the ease of use. Many times these factors force us to overlook the harmful effects associated with the regular use of chemical hair colors. Even the best dyes for gray hair contain a dangerous mix of chemicals including:
- PPDs P-Phenylenediamine present in almost all chemical hair colors has been linked to bladder cancer, lung, kidney and nervous system disorders, and severe allergic reactions. The concentration of PDPs in some mainstream brands can be as high as 5-6%.
- Resorcinol is another common ingredient which disrupts hormonal function and leads to hypothyroidism. It can also affect your eyes and skin.
- Ammonia is harmful to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, and can cause asthma and breathing difficulties. It can also cause permanent damage to the hair shaft.
- Persulfates such as sodium, potassium, and ammonium sulfates are used in high concentration in hair color products despite the fact that a much lower concentration can cause skin irritation. Persulphate fumes when inhaled can cause asthma and lung damage.
When you apply a chemical hair color to your scalp and leave it on for 45 minutes, it penetrates your skin to enter your bloodstream. So effectively, every4-6 weeks you are loading up your bloodstream with a small dose of toxic chemicals, which can be detrimental to your health. Have you wondered about why pregnant women are strongly advised not to color their hair? The national cancer institute stresses that prolonged exposure to hair color products increases the risk of cancers such as Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma. Another startling fact is that despite all the harmful effects of chemical hair colors the FDA, in America does not regulate the ingredients in any kind of hair color products.
However, not all is lost. You can still choose from a variety of organic hair dyes that give you equally good results. Here is our list of best dyes for gray hair, which is totally organic and free of toxic chemicals:
- Organic Color Systems: Contrary to the popular opinion, their organic hair dye is long-lasting, and the color does not wash off even after multiple washes. It is free of ammonia and most toxic chemicals. You can choose from 65 colors and cover your gray hair beautifully.
- Ecocolors: Their products use organic ingredients such as soy, flax oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E and grapefruit seed extract. It provides long-lasting, luxurious cover.
- Herbatint Hair Color: It is made from certified natural herbal ingredients that provide a soft, luxurious cover. It comes in both permanent and semi-permanent categories.
- Original & Mineral: It is an Australian brand that produces professional grade ammonia, resorcinol, and PPD free permanent hair color. It is one of the best dyes for gray hair that is gentle on the skin and the scalp and keeps your hair soft, shiny, and healthy while providing a long-lasting color.
- Logona Herbal Hair Color Cream: Their list of ingredients includes organic henna from sekem farm, rhubarb root powder, jojoba seed oil, and pure essential oils. Their products provide volume and luster to even the most damaged hair. They can even cover stubborn grey hair.
Be cautious while choosing your hair color, do not be fooled by names that include green or natural. Some of the best dyes for gray hair may appear all clean and green until you go through the list of ingredients.