What to expect from a Botox treatment for migraines
Botox is widely used for cosmetic purposes. In order to hide fine lines and wrinkles, people often undergo Botox treatment. However, there are lesser known uses of Botox that do not involve any cosmetic treatments. Botox has been used for treating several medical conditions including chronic migraines.
Medical conditions for which Botox is used for treatment include the following.
- Cross eye
- Overactive bladder
- Excessive underarm sweating
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Chronic migraine
There are approximately 20 medical conditions for which Botox is used.
Botox was never meant for treating migraines; the discovery of Botox and its effects on migraine was rather accidental. Professionals who were giving Botox shots learned about its effects on migraine when people with a chronic migraine reported a decline in their migraine attacks after the treatment.
There are two ways doctors believe that Botox helps people with a chronic migraine. Muscles that are sensitive to pain are relaxed by using Botox and it blocks the brain’s pain signal to the nerves.
Things to expect from your Botox treatment for migraine
- If you are considering a Botox for treating your chronic migraine, there are many sessions which you will have to go through. There are approximately 31 injections that will be given around your head and neck for treating your migraine.
- There is a strict protocol to follow for migraine and the administering doctor needs to inject the needle in the specific spots as per the instructions. Before undergoing the Botox treatment for your chronic migraine, you can ask your doctor to tell you the spots where you will get the injections. This will help you be more prepared for your Botox treatment.
- Each session will take around 15 minutes and they will feel like a small prick. The injections that will be injected around your eyebrows and forehead will be slightly more painful than the rest of the injections.
- Post your first Botox session, you will get an immediate headache or a migraine attack. You may even suffer from fatigue, nerve pain, and nausea. You must also expect any of the possible side-effects to follow during or post your treatment. To be better prepared, it is important to learn about all the possible side-effects.
- As far as your results are concerned, it is important to know that the results vary from patient to patient. Some patients may see results appearing after the first session of the Botox treatment, while some don’t see any difference until the third session. However, if you are not able to see any improvement in your condition post the third session, you will have to consult your doctor regarding the same.
Before you consider going for a Botox treatment for your chronic migraine condition, you must learn about every single side-effect. It is also important to undergo the treatment from an experienced doctor for the same.