Tips to control the symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome effectively
What happens when a person is diagnosed with an ailment which will never leave his side? Since this query indicates that the disease cannot be cured, the only option that the person has is to learn to coexist with the disease and control it with whatever means are available.
Sjogren’s Syndrome is one such disorder that cannot be cured, and the individual is stuck with it for eternity. Sjogren’s Syndrome surfaces when the immune system, which is supposed to guard the body against the attack of malicious agents, starts attacking the red blood cells in the body instead of the viruses and bacteria it is supposed to target. In the process of attacking the healthy blood cells, the immune system attacks the glands in the throat and eyes, which affects the production of saliva and tears respectively. As a result of this, people who suffer from Sjogren’s Syndrome suffer from dryness of the mouth and eyes.
As trivial as the dryness of the mouth and eyes might sound, they pose a serious threat to an individual’s health. Dry mouth is an open invitation for yeast infections, and since the saliva isn’t present to protect the teeth and gums, they become prone to deterioration. Dry eyes cause irritation and can affect the cornea, causing permanent damage to the eyes.
Though Sjogren’s Syndrome cannot be treated, the symptoms can be controlled. Here’s how.
- Since dry eyes are a prominent symptom of Sjogren’s Syndrome, one can use artificial tears or eye lubricants to reduce the irritation caused by the same. It is advisable to use artificial tears that are devoid of any preservatives. It ensures that the condition doesn’t worsen further.
- Another way of keeping your eyes and mouth from drying is by increasing the indoor humidity. This ensures that whatever moisture is left in your eyes and mouth remain intact.
- Since people suffering from Sjogren’s Syndrome suffer from dryness of the mouth as well, it is essential to maintain the right level of moisture in the mouth. In such cases, keeping oneself hydrated works wonders. Increase your fluid intake, and eventually, you will be free from a dry mouth.
- In case of a dry mouth, the individual has to quit smoking. Smoking can aggravate the already delicate condition and absorb whatever moisture is left. Also, it irritates a dry mouth. So, kick the butt!
- Remember how as kids we salivated seeing the sugar-coated candies? Well, never would have you thought this might come to your rescue. Sugarless or citrus-flavored candies are known to stimulate the production of saliva. So, goodbye dry mouth!