Home Remedies That Can Help Treat UTI Naturally
What is urinary tract infection?
Urinary Tract Infection or UTI is an infection caused in the urinary tract. Typically, there are two types of infections: one which affects lower urinary tract called bladder infection and other which affects upper urinary tract called kidney infection. UTI occurs more in women than men.
Causes and symptoms of UTI
UTI occurs when bacteria enter the urinary tract through the urethra and multiplies in the bladder. Most common cause of UTI is Escherichia coli, or E. coli bacteria. Mostly, this condition has to be treated with antibiotics.
The symptoms include:
- Persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Urine appears to be turbid
- Mild pelvic pain
How to treat urinary tract infection naturally?
There are numerous ways to treat a urinary tract infection naturally. Among others:
- The easiest way to prevent and treat a urinary tract infection naturally is to consume plenty of water and urinate frequently, so as to flush bacteria out of the body before they can cause harm.
- Cleaning after urinating and wiping from front to back is recommended. Since bacteria tend to reside near the anus, wiping from back to front may make it to the urethra.
- Wash up before sex and urinate after having an intercourse. While doing so, use water and gentle intimate wash, which are clinically proven. Urinating post intercourse will push away any bacteria that entered the urinary tract. This would keep bacteria away from the urethra.
- Avoid using feminine products, such as scented soaps and wash, deodorants, scented powders, around the vagina.
- For women, using contraceptives like spermicide or spermicide-lubricated condom may increase bacterial growth. Refrain from using these products if you are prone to frequent urinary tract infections and consider an alternate method for birth control.
- After menopause, estrogen production in a woman’s body reduces, which causes vaginal dryness and makes the urinary tract more susceptible to infection. To treat a urinary tract infection naturally try clinically proven pH balanced intimate wash.
- To treat a urinary tract infection naturally, cranberries are suggested. Few studies show that cranberries prevent bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract.
- Take utmost care while using public toilets.
- People susceptible to infections are advised to take showers rather than bathtubs to prevent them.
If home remedies do not work, UTI should be treated promptly to prevent bladder complications.