Heartburn – Symptoms and Home Remedies
If you experience heartburn, you are likely to have a slight hiccup followed by a burning sensation in your throat and chest. It can create a very unpleasant feeling for the person suffering from it. It may be triggered by acidic food, spicy food, or fatty food. If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease, you may experience the occasional heartburn as well. Here are a few heartburn symptoms and signs and some heartburn remedies to ensure quick relief from its symptoms.
Heartburn symptoms and signs
If you suffer from the following symptoms and signs, you are likely to be suffering from heartburn:
- You may find it difficult to swallow food. Swallowing food may be accompanied by a burning sensation in your throat.
- If you are experiencing a chronic cough along with the other symptoms mentioned on this list, be sure to conclude that you have heartburn.
- You may feel a pain in the stomach or in the upper region of the abdomen.
- If your throat is sore for a long period of time at a stretch, you may have heartburn.
- If you regurgitate food or liquids soon after consumption and feel a taste of acid in your throat and mouth, you are more likely than not to be suffering from heartburn. This is one of the most common heartburn symptoms and signs.
- Persistent laryngitis and hoarseness are signs of a heartburn.
Home remedies for treating heartburn
Here are a few home remedies to help relieve you of heartburn:
- Apple cider vinegar and water
- Fresh pineapple juice
- Eat smaller meals on a more frequent basis
- Do not wear clothes that are tight fitting
- Avoid trigger foods
- Reduce your fat intake
- Avoid lying down right after having a meal
The lower part of the esophagus generally relaxes when you eat or drink something. This allows the easy passage of food into the stomach. It then closes back. When heartburn occurs, the esophageal sphincter relaxes without the presence of food passing through it. The contents of the stomach may then flow back into the esophagus resulting in a burning sensation and other heartburn signs and symptoms. You can follow the abovementioned heartburn remedies and you should be good to go. However, if you do not get relief from the symptoms even with these remedies, it would be imperative for you to visit a doctor at the earliest.