What are the treatment options for pancreatitis
Pancreatitis is a serious health condition in which the pancreas gets inflamed. Therefore, it is important to keep an eye on the early signs of pancreatitis. A timely diagnosis will help you recover faster and more efficiently. If you are wondering what could be the early signs of pancreatitis, then here’s a list which can help you identify this condition.
- High fever
- Issues with digestion
- Abdominal swelling
- Sudden weight loss
- Pain in the upper area of the abdomen
- Loss of appetite
However, the early signs of pancreatitis mentioned above can vary from person to person. If you observe any of these, ensure that you seek medical assistance instantly.
Causes of pancreatitis
The most common cause of pancreatitis is alcohol abuse, but it occurs due to multiple reasons such as
- Specific types of medications
- Family history
- Cystic fibrosis
- Surgeries in the abdomen
Treatment options for pancreatitis
Treatment for both acute and chronic pancreatitis usually includes hospitalization as pancreatic processes need to be safely normalized. The following are some of the commonly used treatment options used to heal the damaged pancreas.
- Surgery Based on the cause of pancreatitis, doctors may have to opt for surgery to eliminate bile obstructions, infected tissues or gallbladder. To prepare for surgery, an IV (intravenous fluid) tube will be attached to you so that you can receive proper nourishment. As you recover from the surgical treatment, you can gradually go back to consuming a liquid diet and then low-fat foods.
- Support programs If you happen to be battling with alcohol addiction then your doctor might also encourage you to participate in a program which can address and counsel your dependence. Not just for your health, this can bring about a positive change in your social and personal life a well.
- Medications If you are dealing with abdominal pain, then your specialist might prescribe you with some painkillers to alleviate the discomfort.
- Enzyme supplements To enhance your digestive processes, doctors might recommend you enzyme supplements so that the body can break down food and absorb nutrients successfully. These are supposed to be taken every time you have a meal.
- Lifestyle changes Even if you drink within moderation, after suffering from pancreatitis it is best to cut down on drinking altogether. Ensure that you avoid cigarettes as the smoke settles in the internal organs causing irreversible damage.
- Dietary changes For treating pancreatitis, you will have to follow a low-fat diet. The idea is to cause minimal or zero strain on the pancreas. You will also have to reinvent your eating habits by consuming small meals throughout the day.